Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Rockstar Goggles

Why this isn't a popular term yet is far beyond me.  I was nostalgically googling my old obsession, Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys, yesterday and I cannot fathom the fact that I once thought he was a hunk, to use my mom's outdated terminology.

Alex Turner -->

This isn't a singular case, either.  There are a handful of musicians that my adoration of seems ridiculous now.  I've done some thinking on this and I think I owe my infatuation to both "the crowd effect" and the "youtube comment effect".


The Crowd Effect - The 1984-esque effect of being swept up by a crowd unintentionally (1984-esque refers to the pandemonium present after two minutes of hate).  When thousands of people at a concert are belting his, whomever he may be, lyrics and screaming their love for him, you can't help but join in on these contagious vibes.

The Youtube Comment Effect - When you are watching either a live performance or interview and all the comments concern how amazing a certain band member or actor is.  Overtime, you may subconsciously start to believe it.

^^Not to say I don't understand my current obsession with Ezra Koenig. He's the best thing since sliced bread.  (Although, to be fair, I may not agree with this statement in a few months)  This just may give insight into WHY I'm fixated on him.


So, as strange as it seems, my obsession of these figures seems to have stemmed from others' attractions.  If this is true, I most likely inadvertently rely on other's opinions for who I like in my personal life, which makes me want to use the term "rockstar goggles" as an umbrella term for whenever your positive opinion on someone of the opposite sex (if you're gay than of the same sex) is due, in large part, to others' favorable opinions of that same person.

BOOYA. My goal for the next week is to make this a thing.

Peace out Girlscout.


No comments:

Post a Comment